No matter what office, warehouse, or retail location you visit, some type of hazard is likely to exist. If you are the victim of any of the common job site dangers listed below, be sure to contact an experienced lawyer for skilled legal guidance:
- Working at heights — According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 14 percent of all fatalities in 2014 were caused by falls. Employers need to carefully review their worksites, identify possible fall hazards, and ensure employees receive proper fall training and safety gear. Many OSHA violations are related to scaffolding equipment and usage. Contractors can reduce fall accidents by ensuring workers wear hard hats and harnesses whenever working at heights.
- Chemicals — Organizations must use chemicals responsibly. A log should be kept of what chemicals are purchased, their intended purpose, expiration date, and where they should be stored. Any expired chemicals should be discarded. Employers must ensure that workers understand the safety protocol for chemical exposure.
- Forklifts — When used irresponsibly, forklifts can present a serious danger to the driver as well as other warehouse workers. It is essential to never rush or overload forklifts. Additionally, forklifts should be inspected and maintained on a regular basis to avoid malfunction.
- Poor housekeeping — Boxes and clutter can block stairwells, landings, and emergency exits. Additionally, if clutter is stacked too high, it can interfere with the building’s sprinkler system and allow an otherwise manageable fire to spread out of control.
- Electrical — Extension cords are designed to provide temporary power to an area or electrical device. OSHA considers it a violation to use extension cords for an extended period of time, i.e., months. Extension cords can also be a trip and fall hazard.
A “silly” workplace safety hazard can lead to an ankle that’s broken in three places. If you recently sustained an injury on the job, consult with an attorney. An experienced lawyer can guide you through the workers’ comp application or appeals process and help improve your chances of receiving the benefits you deserve.
Contact trusted workers comp lawyers in NJ
When a workplace accident disrupts your life, you need reliable legal care. At Kreizer Law, we work tirelessly to help you recover maximum compensation. No matter how tough your case may seem, our experienced legal team is up for the challenge.