The human brain, while one of the more remarkable organs, is also extremely vulnerable. In the event that the brain is impacted, a traumatic brain injury (TBI) may result. When a person suffers a TBI, they may experience life-changing consequences, including impairments to cognition, language, sensation, emotion, and more.
At the office of Kreizer Law, our traumatic brain injury attorneys understand that suffering a TBI can be a shocking and catastrophic experience. If your brain injury would not have been incurred but for the fault of another party, our head injury lawyers can help.
Contact us today to learn more about how to bring forth a traumatic brain injury claim in New Jersey and New York.
Facts and Statistics About Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries are not only a very serious type of head injury but also an extremely common type of injury. To be sure, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that traumatic brain injury is a major cause of death and disability in the United States, with an average of 155 people per day dying from injuries that involved a TBI (during one year for which data is most recently available).
During that same time period of one year, there were about 2.87 million traumatic brain injury-related emergency room department visits, deaths, and hospitalizations reported in the U.S. Nearly one million children were affected by TBIs during this time period, too.
The CDC also reports on factors that make a person more at risk of being a victim of a TBI. One of the greatest risk factors reported is age; TBI-related deaths during the year for which data was collected most affected those ages 75 and older. However, anyone, regardless of age or any other demographic marker, may become the victim of a traumatic brain injury when negligence is involved.
Top Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
A brain injury can occur any time that a head is struck with force, the skull and brain are penetrated with an object, rotational forces act upon the head, the head is shaken violently, or the brain is deprived of oxygen. Some of the top causes of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Falls, including both slip and falls and falls from heights;
- Being struck by an object;
- Motor vehicle crashes;
- Pedestrian crashes;
- Bicycle accidents;
- Motorcycle crashes;
- Drowning and near-drowning incidents;
- Medical mistakes, including anesthesia errors and birth injuries; and
- Sports-related accidents.
Compensatory Damages Available in a Traumatic Brain Injury Claim
As stated above, a traumatic brain injury may have an effect on an individual’s memory, sensation, movement, emotional functioning, language, processing, and more. Depending on the severity of the TBI, this could mean high medical expenses, years of assistance or in-home care, specialty equipment and medical devices, an inability to return to work and lost wages, damaged relationships, and more. These losses can be devastating for an affected person and their family to live with.
At the office of Kreizer Law, our head injury lawyers want to make sure that you receive the compensation award that you deserve if your brain injury would not have occurred but for the negligence of another party. We will help you to recover the full value of your compensatory damages, including compensation for:
- All medical expenses related to your injury, including past and future medical expenses such as prescription drug costs, hospital stay costs, doctors’ visits, surgeries, rehabilitative care and therapy, in-home care and assistance, and more.
- Past and future lost wages, loss of earning capacity, and loss of future benefits that you would have earned during your working years.
- Pain and suffering, including the value of your emotional distress, physical pain, mental anguish, diminished quality of life, and loss of consortium.
- Any other economic losses, ranging from property damage expenses to transportation expenses to medical appointments and more.
You shouldn’t have to pay a penny out of your own pocket for expenses related to an injury that you could not have prevented, and which occurred because of another person’s or party’s fault.
How Our Brain Injury Law Firm Can Help
Our traumatic brain injury attorneys will work hard to provide you with the legal support and counsel that you need after suffering a serious injury. We will serve you by:
- Investigating your case, which will include gathering evidence, working with experts, and determining the precise cause of your accident and traumatic brain injury;
- Proving fault and identifying the liable party and all available sources of recovery (insurance policies available);
- Assessing your damages and determining the value of your claim;
- Issuing a demand letter to the appropriate insurance companies;
- Reviewing your settlement offer;
- Rejecting and negotiating any settlement offer that doesn’t fully compensate you; and
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit in New Jersey and bringing your case to trial if necessary.
We will answer your questions honestly and respectfully throughout the process, remain available and accessible, and provide you with all of the information you need to know about your legal options and remedies available.
Contact Our Traumatic Brain Injuries Attorneys Today
Our traumatic brain injury lawyers in south New Jersey are passionate about helping those who are recovering from serious harm due to the failure of another to exercise the proper degree of care. If you have been in an accident that resulted in a traumatic brain injury, you may be dealing with numerous losses, financially, physically, and emotionally, and need an advocate on your side.
At the firm of Kreizer Law, we work on a contingency fee basis, never charge upfront or hourly fees, and don’t get paid unless you do. We start each case with a free consultation, and there is never any pressure to hire our law firm if you don’t think we’re a good fit.
Call us toll-free (833) 4KreizerLaw – that’s (833) 457-3493 to begin evaluating your case.
To schedule your free consultation today, please call our law firm directly or send us a message at your convenience. We are ready to start working on your case today.